Attorneys licensed and in good standing in Kansas may use the Kansas eFlex system. Pro Se filers are not included at this time. For additional information, email the Office of Judicial Administration.
Effective June 1, 2018 all licensed attorneys must electronically file all new cases and documents within new or existing cases. See DCR 3.119 Electronic Filing and Administrative Order 2018-101 (PDF) for additional details.
1. Accurate Case Information: Below are the data entry rules. Parties should be entered to match the case caption on the pleadings.
Party Type: Select whether the party is a person or company.
First Name: Must start with a capital letter. Example: John
Full middle name (If known): Enter in it’s entirety. Example: John
Middle Initial: Use capital letter only. No punctuation. Example: J
If no middle name is known, leave blank.
Apostrophe: Use apostrophe with no space. Example: O’Smith
Hyphenated: Use hyphen with no spaces. Example: Doe-Smith
Multiple Names: Use single space between each name. Example: Doe Smith
I, II, III, etc. should use the appropriate Roman numeral
Junior, Senior should use Jr or Sr
EIN: (if applicable)
Use hyphen. Example: 12-3456789
Phone & Fax number(s):
Include area code without any punctuation. Example: 7855551212
Use appropriate email format including the @ (at symbol) and . (dot) Example: email@example.com
No punctuation with common abbreviations
Street Address Example: 1234 S Main Street
1234 10th Street
PO Box Example:
PO Box 1234
Zip Code: Use hyphen for the Zip+4 format. Ex: 12345-1234
2. Accurate Document Type:
Each document filed in the submission must have the correct document type. Clerks are instructed by the Kansas Judicial Branch to reject submissions if a document type is incorrect. Please refer to information regarding Document Types (PDF) when unsure.
3. Properly Formatted Documents:
- All documents must include the case caption and case number on the first page.
- Multiple page pleadings must have each page numbered, and can begin numbering the page after page one if so desired.
- The first page of a document must allow spaces for the electronic file stamp. The electronic file stamp is placed at approximately 1 1/4 inches from the top of the page and 5 inches from the right of the page.
- Do not encrypt a document, the submission will be rejected.
Proposed Orders or other documents requiring a judge’s or clerk’s signature
- The Document must be submitted in a Word format.
- Replace any blank date lines with "Now on this date".
- Replace the blank signature line with "This Order is effective as of the date and time shown on the electronic file stamp.".
Exhibits should be included with their applicable pleading. However, when exhibits are too large for a single submission, filers are to break each submission into size manageable documents with cover pages on each document and then upload each document within the submission size limitation. Each cover page is to include the case caption and case number. Currently, individual documents are limited to 10MB size limit, and each submission is limited to a 30MB size limit. For example, you can upload three (3) 10MB documents in one submission.
Each page of a pleading or marked exhibit must be page numbered unless it is the first page of the pleading or marked exhibit. It is not required for page numbers to be sequential from the first page of the first document to the last page of the last document. so long as the page number is sensiblee. For example each pleading may begin with page one and each marked exhibit may begin with page one.
Batch Electronic Filing
Shawnee County District Court is in the process of consulting with developers to re-create the electronic batch filing solution that it has in place since 1997 and has been incredibly efficient in processing cases. Documentation to participate in the (new) batch filing can be found below.
Batch Filing Guide (PDF)
Kansas Batch Schema (PDF)
Kansas Batch Codes (PDF)
Case Initiation Example (PDF)
Follow up filing example (PDF)
Kansas Matter Examples* (PDF) (7-15-2014) *Matter Codes are included in this document