Click to Home
Connect with the Court

Go To Search
What if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?
If you are being sued in Small Claims Court and you do owe the other party money or property, pay what you owe and you will not have to appear in court. Be sure the Court is notified in writing of such a settlement.

If you have a claim against the plaintiff in connection with the same matter that his claim concerns, you may file a counterclaim. Fill out the "Defendants Claim" form that came with the summons and return it as soon as possible to the Court.

If you do not settle the claim against you out of court, then you must appear in court at the time scheduled or the judge can rule against you. Bring with you any papers that will support your side of the dispute, and any witnesses who can speak on your behalf. The judge will give both you and the other party a chance to speak before they make a decision. If the judge decides against you, you are legally bound to pay the plaintiff whatever the judge orders you to pay. You may appeal the judges decision.

Small Claims

Show All Answers

1. What is required to file a small claims case?
2. Who can be sued in Small Claims Court?
3. How do I file a claim?
4. What do I do after the claim is filed?
5. What will my day in court be like?
6. What do I do to collect my money or property?
7. How do I appeal a case?
8. What if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?
9. Where do I get the forms?
10. What if I have other questions?