Click to Home
Connect with the Court

Go To Search
What is required to file a small claims case?
The following restrictions apply to Small Claims cases:

1. Claims must not be greater than $4,000.00, exclusive of interest, costs, and any damages for worthless checks which may be awarded under KSA 60-2610.

2. Those who file must be over 18 years of age, or be represented by someone over 18. Any business or corporation may use Small Claims Court. However, collection agencies may not use the Court to collect for their clients.

3. A person cannot file more than 20 cases in Small Claims Court in one calendar year. (January 1 through December 31) [KSA 61-2704(b)]

4. The applicable docket fee*.

5. To file a case, you must fill out a Civil Information Sheet showing your name, address and daytime phone number, and name and address of the person being sued. You will also fill out a form called a petition showing the amount of money or property you are asking for, and why you are asking for it.

6. The person being sued must be able to be located so they can be legally served, or given an official summons (or notice to appear) in court. It is your responsibility to furnish the address to the Clerk's office.

* Pursuant to KSA 28-110, a $15.00 Sheriff Service of Process fee may apply.

Small Claims

Show All Answers

1. What is required to file a small claims case?
2. Who can be sued in Small Claims Court?
3. How do I file a claim?
4. What do I do after the claim is filed?
5. What will my day in court be like?
6. What do I do to collect my money or property?
7. How do I appeal a case?
8. What if I am being sued in Small Claims Court?
9. Where do I get the forms?
10. What if I have other questions?